What cheap bathroom renovation quotes look like
Cheap renovation quotes normally mean shortcuts are being taken.
You might be reading this and thinking we are writing about this on our website to try and protect our business. To an extent you are right, although look at the very first photo below, it is exposed copper piping that is visible in a newly renovated bathroom, apart from the poor installation, there’s been no attempt to present the toilet professionally.
This is one of many examples we found in this bathroom renovation an owner asked if we could repair (they had chosen another renovation company as their quote was cheaper than ours)
Nu-Trend is proud to be a leading small bathroom renovation specialist in Sydney with a reputation demonstrated with over 100 reviews & a mix of residential, commercial and real estate projects completed over the years.
We weren’t sure whether to cry out of frustration or laugh at the property owner for making a decision on their bathroom renovation project that was down to pricing.
We’ve learnt the hard way when it comes to proving quotes or estimates on bathroom renovation projects in Sydney when we have underestimated the time needed, the difference quality materials can make or even hiring the right tradespeople to work with us when other specialist skills might be needed.
It means we know exactly how other bathroom renovation companies in Sydney can provide cheap renovation quotes because it typically means they are using low quality materials, inexperienced labour or rushing jobs to flip them quickly and get onto the next one.
A cheap renovation quote should be a red flag for any home owner and for this project we were under-quoted by around $5,000. That’s right, another company were that much cheaper than our estimates and there wasn’t any way possible for us to match them.
Although, now we can see why. The owner called us up recently to come and look at their renovated bathroom and we were utterly shocked at what we found. Something so simple like a wall pipe fitting was left exposed from the wall rather than being located correctly on the wall to only expose the correct fittings, but the list went on as we explain below.
What else did we find from this cheap bathroom renovation quote?
For the sake of transparency we had quoted on this project at $20,000 in labor although ultimately we had lost the job to another small bathroom renovation company in Sydney who had quoted just $15,000.
The difference in pricing was too attractive for the owner to refuse, but they already had to have the bathroom re-tiled twice to try and rectify the issues.
Although we did a closer inspection and discovered;
1. The walls weren’t level – this makes installing anything in the room even more of a challenge vs making sure the walls are absolutely perfect before starting any renovation work. It ads time to the project when you have to make allowances for walls out of square to the floor, ceiling or other walls.
2. Fixtures were installed at the wrong heights – for example the shower head is installed at head height rather than above. Nobody that we know of enjoys a shower when the water is going straight into your face. It means there wasn’t time taken to think about the bathroom design and functionality.
3. There is exposed copper plumbing – this means the time wasn’t taken to measure the piping layout and fittings correctly to ensure each element would meet the wall faces correctly. While it is a simple mistake it shows a lack of care and attention to detail and contributes to cheap bathroom renovation quotes.
4. The tiles start and finish at uneven lengths – when you first walk into the room this isn’t obvious, but like a recent episode of the Block 2020 where the tiling wasn’t even from top to bottom you soon notice these things. A professional tiler will ensure that all the joints are even and the edges of each tile are nice and level. When two tiles are not level and the edge of one is higher than the next, it is referred to a ‘lipping.’ If a tiler leaves the project with excessive lipping tiles, he should be asked to fix them. The same applies for tiles being the same width or lining up to match other lines or edges in the room. It is an attention to detail aspect that takes time and effort to get right.
5. The floor gradients are incorrect – this has potential issues when it comes to where or how overflow water might run (or pool) so together with the uneven walls and poor tiling you can see there was very little preparation done to the room to ensure everything could be renovated correctly. Now you start to see how a cheap renovation quote isn’t such a good idea.
6. The paint finishes are patchy – this was pretty obvious and easy to spot, again if a professional painter isn’t used then the chances of a high quality room finish are diminished. Its true that anyone can pick up a paint brush, but you can see the patchy corners and edges in this room straight away, so any money saved is then lost through a poor quality finished project.
7. The is exposed PVC piping under the vanity – some people might not care about this because they throw cleaning products or spare bits and pieces in the bottom of the vanity. Although its another example of how a cheap bathroom renovation quote is created and shortcuts are taken with little attention to detail to deliver a high quality finish.
8. The towel rail wasn’t installed level – well this one just topped it all for us and was just another example in this bathroom of the poor quality workmanship.
How can you fix cheap bathroom renovation projects?
These were just some of the defects we could see from our quick inspection. There could be others behind the walls that we can’t see & this could include issues with the plumbing etc.
So from our perspective it highlights the difference that comes from selecting bathroom renovation specialists & in the case of Nu-Trend we are also plumbers so it means you get the best of both worlds when we renovate your bathroom.
To correct the issues in this room would cost approximately $20,000 to give the property owner something that can help add value to their home in the long term.
Years of experience
Nu-Trend since 2009
Nu-Trend was formed just over 10 years ago by father and son team, Rick and Michael Karagiannis.
Michael has been in the industry for more than 20 years, passing his knowledge and expertise to Rick as the family tradition lives on.
Rick has always enjoyed the finer elements design details. Not content with solving plumbing problems he soon broadened his skills to also do bathroom renovations in Sydney. A perfect match with hundreds of reviews later & beautiful bathrooms being enjoyed by hundreds of people.
The passionate business owner who loves his job, always goes the extra mile & who many say “is too good for the industry”
Rick dislikes the typical industry behaviour and firmly believes in ‘no gimmicks’ and upfront, honest work.
- Position: Director
- Years in the industry: 15
- Expertise / specialty: A hands-on Director and business owner who provides leadership for the team.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber, Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? I love helping people when someone wants something and we achieve what they are after it’s rewarding for me.
- Funniest on the job story: Doing a job on a live sewer stack and someone flushing the toilet while we were underneath. It was quite brown, but you had to laugh.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Caroma Products
Robert is the co-owner of Nu-Trend who loves walking into different scenarios every day & trying to solve problems quickly.
He is the organiser in the team, keeping the boys on track each day. Some dub him the ‘pretty face’ of Nu-Trend.
- Position: Director
- Years in industry: 14
- Expertise / specialty: Quoting, team organisation and logistics to keep everything running smoothly.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber and Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? Doing something different every day and working with really good people to solve a range of everyday problems.
- Funniest on the job story: Pranking the boys with fake emails or calls and waiting to see their reactions. Funny at times but a good way to practice real situations.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Chris joined Rick and Robert a few years ago as the number of jobs and bathroom renovations began to increase.
Ever reliable Chris gets stuck in when the hard work is required and provides the Nu-Trend team with a lot of the hard yakka.
- Position: Plumber
- Years in industry: 6
- Expertise / specialty: Maintenance and domestic plumbing for houses or unit apartment blocks.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber with aspirations to learn about renovations.
- What he loves about his work? Seeing Nu-Trend customers satisfied after a completed job where they notice the little details or finishing touches.
- Funniest on the job story: Too many to list and he has been thinking about writing a book about funny plumber stories for everyone to read about.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Local | Licensed | Insured
Nu-Trend is a plumber and bathroom renovations team in Sydney, available 7 days a week. With 15 years experience, the Directors Rob and Rick are hands-on and provide a personalised service that is fully licensed, insured and qualified. You can check online with the NSW Department of Fair Trading here
HOME OWNERS INSURANCE
Protection for your renovation project.
FULLY LICENCED 217859C
A qualified and licensed builder.
Public liability insurance for peace of mind.
Drainer | Gasfitter | Plumber | LP Gasfitter
Kitchen, Bathroom and Laundry Renovator
STANDARDS AUSTRALIA AS/NZS3500:2018 Compliant
All the work carried out by Nu-Trend is AS/NZ3500:2018 compliant. It is the Australian Standard for Plumbing and Drainage in NSW as set down by Standards Australia and the Australian Building Codes Board. They give the plumbing industry technical direction to enable compliance with required regulatory frameworks.
Rick and Rob are the hands-on Directors for Nu-Trend Plumbing. Rather than hire sub-contractors and manage their business from a distant office, they are on the tools, at your site & working towards delivering your bathroom renovation or plumbing service. It means you are talking directly to the owners of the business, the guys who are accountable and responsible rather than via email or through customer service teams.
It is why they are able to provide a written guarantee that demonstrates their confidence in standing by the quality of their workmanship and the service they deliver to every single client.
They have a very single minded commitment to deliver a high level of professionalism and quality, they’ve been doing it for 15 years.
No sales tricks, guaranteed.
'No Gimmicks' that's our policy
With so many years in the trade, the Nu-Trend team has seen their fair share of sales tricks, special offers, promotions and other gimmicks to secure business. Rather than copy what everyone else is doing they decided a long time ago to avoid all the typical gimmicks and stick to clear, upfront information and pricing, including the provision of free Quotes.
Here are the most common sales gimmicks you will see and how they work, keep in mind there is a reason most service industries don’t disclose fixed prices.
Learn more about Bathroom Renovations with these information pieces.
Does the renovator you are about to contract have any form of Home Warranty Insurance?