There are steps you can take to resolve a building dispute.
How did we help resolve a building dispute?
Resolving a building dispute is one of those things nobody really wants to go through. In this example we were approached by a Client who had contracted another company for her bathroom renovation. As you can see in the photos the poor workmanship was clear to see, although, the initial quote was very attractive.
What the Client didn’t realise was there were a number of steps that could have been taken to resolve this issue or prevent it from happening;
- Check the License of the company and builder.
- Double check if they have an ABN or a history of multiple companies being registered
- Get a confirmation that the person quoting is the one who will actually do the work.
- Look for reviews online that have 3 or more sentences but talk in detail about previous work done.
- Ask to speak to prior clients or visit a previous job site.
- Ask to visit another site they are working on to see what ‘work in progress’ looks like.
- Understand what a contract will look like. If it is written on paper or doesn’t contain much detail then you have a fair indication as to the quality of their work potentially. Examples of contracts are available from the Department of Fair Trading here
- Talk through the issue and have photo evidence.
- Write a letter following any conversations, confirm in writing with your builder what was agreed to be done and by when making sure this is dated, using email or registered post as proof.
- If the matter continues, contact Fair Trading immediately to lodge a complaint. You can do this online at the Department of Fair Trading here
- Notify your building insurer of the matter including Fair Trading’s involvement.
Sometimes though, people don’t want to go through all that hassle and just want the job rectified. We can help in those situations too.
What was wrong with this bathroom renovation?
Very simply, this bathroom wouldn’t have lasted 15 months based on the quality of work that had been done so far, not to mention the various building codes or practices that weren’t adhered to. Here are some examples;
- Illegal shower widths for an open shower without a door.
- Cheap floor drains were used that weren’t stainless steel and would corrode over time leading to repairs or replacements needed later.
- Poor workmanship with the cornices falling from the ceiling and wall but work had started to prepare it for being tiled over.
- Sub-standard tiling with a 3 out of 10 rating with tiles not straight, with inconsistent gaps and more.
- Incomplete work where the client was told the tiling was finished but the corners of the room hadn’t been sealed. This would have lead to more remedy work required later from water leaks.
- Poor design being incorporated into this renovation that required a dryer to be placed in the same room as the shower, but a ventilation fan wasn’t accounted for. Virtually impossible to avoid moisture build-up in the room or allow the dryer to work effectively.
- Unprotected plumbing was exposed on top of the concrete slab and under the screed.
- Poor provisioning where there were potentially illegal allowances for a kitchen waste line that didn’t meet current plumbing standards and had a dangerous back fall.
Needless to say this was another example we encountered where the client thought they were getting an incredible deal on a bathroom renovation but not aware of the shortcuts being taken which were a mixture of illegal, poor workmanship or things that would lead to problems later.
What would be needed to rectify this renovation?
For Nu-Trend to help rectify these issues we provided the following recommendations which the Client accepted.
- Purchase and allow for preventative drop sheeting and cleaning gear to keep the work site clear and clean throughout every stage of the project.
- Completely strip the existing bathroom back to its original core-shell timber frame stud work and brickwork without any existing render.
- Have our licensed electrician and plumber inspect the plumbing and electrical work to determine if it is legal, meets current Australian Standards & is in the correct position for the proposed bathroom layout.
- Remove and replace any services that fail inspection.
- Correct the existing wall layouts as best as possible with stud and render correction. We are not building a new room so we will be working with existing structures that need to be made as perfect as possible.
- Review the pros and cons of the existing bathroom layout to determine an ideal solution to maximise the use of the space.
- Finalising the revised design, then reviewing all actions, tile set outs and finishes with all trades and the client.
Years of experience
Nu-Trend since 2009
Nu-Trend was formed just over 10 years ago by father and son team, Rick and Michael Karagiannis.
Michael has been in the industry for more than 20 years, passing his knowledge and expertise to Rick as the family tradition lives on.
Rick has always enjoyed the finer elements design details. Not content with solving plumbing problems he soon broadened his skills to also do bathroom renovations in Sydney. A perfect match with hundreds of reviews later & beautiful bathrooms being enjoyed by hundreds of people.
The passionate business owner who loves his job, always goes the extra mile & who many say “is too good for the industry”
Rick dislikes the typical industry behaviour and firmly believes in ‘no gimmicks’ and upfront, honest work.
- Position: Director
- Years in the industry: 15
- Expertise / specialty: A hands-on Director and business owner who provides leadership for the team.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber, Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? I love helping people when someone wants something and we achieve what they are after it’s rewarding for me.
- Funniest on the job story: Doing a job on a live sewer stack and someone flushing the toilet while we were underneath. It was quite brown, but you had to laugh.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Caroma Products
Robert is the co-owner of Nu-Trend who loves walking into different scenarios every day & trying to solve problems quickly.
He is the organiser in the team, keeping the boys on track each day. Some dub him the ‘pretty face’ of Nu-Trend.
- Position: Director
- Years in industry: 14
- Expertise / specialty: Quoting, team organisation and logistics to keep everything running smoothly.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber and Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? Doing something different every day and working with really good people to solve a range of everyday problems.
- Funniest on the job story: Pranking the boys with fake emails or calls and waiting to see their reactions. Funny at times but a good way to practice real situations.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Chris joined Rick and Robert a few years ago as the number of jobs and bathroom renovations began to increase.
Ever reliable Chris gets stuck in when the hard work is required and provides the Nu-Trend team with a lot of the hard yakka.
- Position: Plumber
- Years in industry: 6
- Expertise / specialty: Maintenance and domestic plumbing for houses or unit apartment blocks.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber with aspirations to learn about renovations.
- What he loves about his work? Seeing Nu-Trend customers satisfied after a completed job where they notice the little details or finishing touches.
- Funniest on the job story: Too many to list and he has been thinking about writing a book about funny plumber stories for everyone to read about.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Local | Licensed | Insured
HOME OWNERS INSURANCE
Protection for your renovation project.
FULLY LICENCED 217859C
A qualified and licensed builder.
Public liability insurance for peace of mind.
Drainer | Gasfitter | Plumber | LP Gasfitter
Kitchen, Bathroom and Laundry Renovator
Nu-Trend is a renovations company in Sydney that is available 7 days a week. With 15 years experience, the Directors Rob and Rick are hands-on, and provide a personalised service that is fully licensed, insured and qualified.
You can check online with the NSW Department of Fair Trading here
STANDARDS AUSTRALIA AS/NZS3500:2018 Compliant
All the work carried out by Nu-Trend is AS/NZ3500:2018 compliant. It is the Australian Standard for Plumbing and Drainage in NSW as set down by Standards Australia and the Australian Building Codes Board. They give the plumbing industry technical direction to enable compliance with required regulatory frameworks.
A personal, written, committment.
The Nu-Trend service guarantee
Rick and Rob are the hands-on Directors for Nu-Trend Plumbing. Rather than hire sub-contractors and manage their business from a distant office, they are on the tools, at your site & working towards delivering your bathroom renovation or plumbing service. It means you are talking directly to the owners of the business, the guys who are accountable and responsible rather than via email or through customer service teams.
It is why they are able to provide a written guarantee that demonstrates their confidence in standing by the quality of their workmanship and the service they deliver to every single client.
They have a very single minded commitment to deliver a high level of professionalism and quality.
No sales tricks, guaranteed.
'No Gimmicks' that's our policy
With so many years in the trade, the Nu-Trend team has seen their fair share of sales tricks, special offers, promotions and other gimmicks to secure business. Rather than copy what everyone else is doing they decided a long time ago to avoid all the typical gimmicks and stick to clear, upfront information and pricing, including the provision of free Quotes.
Here are the most common sales gimmicks you will see and how they work, keep in mind there is a reason most service industries don’t disclose fixed prices.
Real examples, real jobs.
Nu-Trend at work
Rather than use lots of photos copied from Google or from bathroom suppliers the Nu-Trend team shares real life examples of their work. Take a look at some of the bathroom renovations or local plumber jobs they have done around Sydney.