This cheap shower repair will cost the owner $30,000 in rectification costs.
One of the worst shower repairs in Sydney we have seen.
For many years Nu-Trend has been doing shower plumbing repairs for property owners in houses or units in Sydney. Our breadth of experience means that we can do anything from finding a shower water leak or moving the shower plumbing all the way to a complete shower renovation.
During that time we have quoted on many different projects but didn’t win the contract to complete the shower repair. In this example the client needed a shower repair in Connely Point in Sydney. Their shower cubical had a leaking shower that was identified in December 2019 and they explored the cost of retiling the shower, doing a shower remodel or even complete shower renovation costs.
We provided a quotation to repair their shower, but they chose another shower repair service in Sydney that was nearly $5,000 cheaper. What would have originally cost them about $10,000 to fix properly might now cost up to $30,000 in repairs.
We know what you are thinking – how is it possible to have such a price difference for a simple shower repair quotation? Well the devil is in the details and this property owner didn’t realise the consequences of the choices they were making.
We were called back to help them because nearly 12 months later and they have even more problems with failed waterproofing from the cheap shower repair job the other company completed plus they now have even more water related damage to other parts of the property.
What problems did this shower repair company create?
Even if you don’t believe a single word we are writing, open each of the photos on this page and take a close look. This is what a $5,000 shower repair looks like just 12 months after being completed. From our point of view it is a disgrace, it is full of mould & the shower door doesn’t work and the hallway floor is now water damaged.
So what is the rundown;
- The bathroom waterproofing is failing again, less than 12 months after spending $5,000 on a repair.
- The corridor floor boards are now water damaged.
- The grout lines are not even or even the same colouring.
- The gradients are incorrect which means water can pool.
- They finished the tiles shorter than the floor.
- The grout lines vary from 2mm to 6mm so no care has been taken.
- The old vs new tiles are not a close match.
- A cheap, pre-fabricated shower screen has been used which is now falling apart.
- There hasn’t been allowance for the plumbing taps and shower head.
- You can see existing green plugs and existing screw holes.
- There is mould growing around the base and walls, this is a bathroom that kids use to shower in.
How to choose the right shower plumbing service?
Choosing a shower plumbing service in Sydney is not only important but critical when it comes to making sure you don’t spend more money later on getting more repairs done. There is a big reason why quotes might vary so much and you can see from the list of shower repair items that need to be rectified that many shortcuts were taken for this repair.
Worst still the bathroom’s waterproofing has failed again and caused even more damage than before. So in their mind the owner ‘saved $5000’ on the original quotes, but will most likely have to pay $20-$30K in rectification costs because it might be more than just the shower that has to be reinstated.
It is another example of property owners not doing their due diligence when it comes to shower repairs for their property. Choosing a shower repair company in Sydney based on the cheapest quote isn’t necessarily the smartest decision to make.
In this example what is unknown is just how much damage has been done because there could be water damage to the whole bathroom, not just the shower. It would mean there is no point just trying to repair the shower corner but rather the whole room.
Nu-Trend is proud to be a leading small bathroom renovation specialist in Sydney with a reputation demonstrated with over 100 reviews & a mix of residential, commercial and real estate projects completed over the years.
We weren’t sure whether to cry out of frustration or laugh at the property owner for making a decision on their bathroom renovation project that was down to pricing.
We’ve learnt the hard way when it comes to proving quotes or estimates on bathroom renovation projects in Sydney when we have underestimated the time needed, the difference quality materials can make or even hiring the right tradespeople to work with us when other specialist skills might be needed.
It means we know exactly how other bathroom renovation companies in Sydney can provide cheap renovation quotes because it typically means they are using low quality materials, inexperienced labour or rushing jobs to flip them quickly and get onto the next one.
A cheap renovation quote should be a red flag for any home owner and for this project we were under-quoted by around $5,000. That’s right, another company were that much cheaper than our estimates and there wasn’t any way possible for us to match them.
Although, now we can see why. The owner called us up recently to come and look at their renovated bathroom and we were utterly shocked at what we found. Something so simple like a wall pipe fitting was left exposed from the wall rather than being located correctly on the wall to only expose the correct fittings, but the list went on as we explain below.
Years of experience
Nu-Trend since 2009
Nu-Trend was formed just over 10 years ago by father and son team, Rick and Michael Karagiannis.
Michael has been in the industry for more than 20 years, passing his knowledge and expertise to Rick as the family tradition lives on.
Rick has always enjoyed the finer elements design details. Not content with solving plumbing problems he soon broadened his skills to also do bathroom renovations in Sydney. A perfect match with hundreds of reviews later & beautiful bathrooms being enjoyed by hundreds of people.
The passionate business owner who loves his job, always goes the extra mile & who many say “is too good for the industry”
Rick dislikes the typical industry behaviour and firmly believes in ‘no gimmicks’ and upfront, honest work.
- Position: Director
- Years in the industry: 15
- Expertise / specialty: A hands-on Director and business owner who provides leadership for the team.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber, Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? I love helping people when someone wants something and we achieve what they are after it’s rewarding for me.
- Funniest on the job story: Doing a job on a live sewer stack and someone flushing the toilet while we were underneath. It was quite brown, but you had to laugh.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Caroma Products
Robert is the co-owner of Nu-Trend who loves walking into different scenarios every day & trying to solve problems quickly.
He is the organiser in the team, keeping the boys on track each day. Some dub him the ‘pretty face’ of Nu-Trend.
- Position: Director
- Years in industry: 14
- Expertise / specialty: Quoting, team organisation and logistics to keep everything running smoothly.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber and Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? Doing something different every day and working with really good people to solve a range of everyday problems.
- Funniest on the job story: Pranking the boys with fake emails or calls and waiting to see their reactions. Funny at times but a good way to practice real situations.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Chris joined Rick and Robert a few years ago as the number of jobs and bathroom renovations began to increase.
Ever reliable Chris gets stuck in when the hard work is required and provides the Nu-Trend team with a lot of the hard yakka.
- Position: Plumber
- Years in industry: 6
- Expertise / specialty: Maintenance and domestic plumbing for houses or unit apartment blocks.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber with aspirations to learn about renovations.
- What he loves about his work? Seeing Nu-Trend customers satisfied after a completed job where they notice the little details or finishing touches.
- Funniest on the job story: Too many to list and he has been thinking about writing a book about funny plumber stories for everyone to read about.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Local | Licensed | Insured
Nu-Trend is a plumber and bathroom renovations team in Sydney, available 7 days a week. With 15 years experience, the Directors Rob and Rick are hands-on and provide a personalised service that is fully licensed, insured and qualified. You can check online with the NSW Department of Fair Trading here
HOME OWNERS INSURANCE
Protection for your renovation project.
FULLY LICENCED 217859C
A qualified and licensed builder.
Public liability insurance for peace of mind.
Drainer | Gasfitter | Plumber | LP Gasfitter
Kitchen, Bathroom and Laundry Renovator
STANDARDS AUSTRALIA AS/NZS3500:2018 Compliant
All the work carried out by Nu-Trend is AS/NZ3500:2018 compliant. It is the Australian Standard for Plumbing and Drainage in NSW as set down by Standards Australia and the Australian Building Codes Board. They give the plumbing industry technical direction to enable compliance with required regulatory frameworks.
Rick and Rob are the hands-on Directors for Nu-Trend Plumbing. Rather than hire sub-contractors and manage their business from a distant office, they are on the tools, at your site & working towards delivering your bathroom renovation or plumbing service. It means you are talking directly to the owners of the business, the guys who are accountable and responsible rather than via email or through customer service teams.
It is why they are able to provide a written guarantee that demonstrates their confidence in standing by the quality of their workmanship and the service they deliver to every single client.
They have a very single minded commitment to deliver a high level of professionalism and quality, they’ve been doing it for 15 years.
No sales tricks, guaranteed.
'No Gimmicks' that's our policy
With so many years in the trade, the Nu-Trend team has seen their fair share of sales tricks, special offers, promotions and other gimmicks to secure business. Rather than copy what everyone else is doing they decided a long time ago to avoid all the typical gimmicks and stick to clear, upfront information and pricing, including the provision of free Quotes.
Here are the most common sales gimmicks you will see and how they work, keep in mind there is a reason most service industries don’t disclose fixed prices.
Learn more about Bathroom Renovations with these information pieces.
Hand cut tiles can give your bathroom that totally unique design look and feel with products crafted for your interior design.
Does the renovator you are about to contract have any form of Home Warranty Insurance?