How removing tree roots from a storm water line was the answer to this blocked drain issue.
Why are removing tree roots from a storm water line is important?
Older properties and piping can be prone to penetration from tree roots, especially if the piping is earthern or clay. The roots that manage to get into the line are usually no thicker than a strand of hair to begin with. As the tree roots feed on the water and nutrients that flow out through the pipes, they develop from little shoots to a bit mesh inside the pipe. If you are lucky water can still flow and you may never have any issues, but in lots of cases drainage can be effected.
How can you tell if you have an issue?
The most obvious sign is water doesn’t drain from sinks or storm water drains. At other times you may notice the ground is quite wet or there is water seeping from cracks or joins in the footpath or under walls etc. The situations can vary greatly and the only way to really understand what is happening is with a CCTV Camera Inspection to see inside the pipes.
Once we can see what is causing the blockage we can assess how bad the situation is and then work out potential rectification works to resolve it quickly.
How did we remove the tree roots from a storm water line?
This project site was in York Street in the City where we were called to initially investigate the cause of constant flooding of the Anglican Church, especially during heavy rainfall. Using our CCTV Camera Inspection equipment we discovered the entire storm water line from the street all the way to the property was completely blocked with thick tree roots.
Sometimes we may be able to do a High Pressure Water Jet Blast to solve most blockages but in this case that wouldn’t be possible, it would also be a short term solution that doesn’t solve the underlying problem. So we spent a few days to plan the steps needed, including Council permits to be able to cut into the foot paths, remove all the debris then complete the rectification work.
In the end we needed to make sure that all the roof and surface water flowed out to the street while also replacing some of the earthern piping with new pvc pieces.
Years of experience
Nu-Trend since 2009
Nu-Trend was formed just over 10 years ago by father and son team, Rick and Michael Karagiannis.
Michael has been in the industry for more than 20 years, passing his knowledge and expertise to Rick as the family tradition lives on.
Rick has always enjoyed the finer elements design details. Not content with solving plumbing problems he soon broadened his skills to also do bathroom renovations in Sydney. A perfect match with hundreds of reviews later & beautiful bathrooms being enjoyed by hundreds of people.
The passionate business owner who loves his job, always goes the extra mile & who many say “is too good for the industry”
Rick dislikes the typical industry behaviour and firmly believes in ‘no gimmicks’ and upfront, honest work.
- Position: Director
- Years in the industry: 15
- Expertise / specialty: A hands-on Director and business owner who provides leadership for the team.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber, Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? I love helping people when someone wants something and we achieve what they are after it’s rewarding for me.
- Funniest on the job story: Doing a job on a live sewer stack and someone flushing the toilet while we were underneath. It was quite brown, but you had to laugh.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Caroma Products
Robert is the co-owner of Nu-Trend who loves walking into different scenarios every day & trying to solve problems quickly.
He is the organiser in the team, keeping the boys on track each day. Some dub him the ‘pretty face’ of Nu-Trend.
- Position: Director
- Years in industry: 14
- Expertise / specialty: Quoting, team organisation and logistics to keep everything running smoothly.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber and Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? Doing something different every day and working with really good people to solve a range of everyday problems.
- Funniest on the job story: Pranking the boys with fake emails or calls and waiting to see their reactions. Funny at times but a good way to practice real situations.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Chris joined Rick and Robert a few years ago as the number of jobs and bathroom renovations began to increase.
Ever reliable Chris gets stuck in when the hard work is required and provides the Nu-Trend team with a lot of the hard yakka.
- Position: Plumber
- Years in industry: 6
- Expertise / specialty: Maintenance and domestic plumbing for houses or unit apartment blocks.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber with aspirations to learn about renovations.
- What he loves about his work? Seeing Nu-Trend customers satisfied after a completed job where they notice the little details or finishing touches.
- Funniest on the job story: Too many to list and he has been thinking about writing a book about funny plumber stories for everyone to read about.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Local | Licensed | Insured
Nu-Trend is a plumber and bathroom renovations team in Sydney, available 7 days a week. With 15 years experience, the Directors Rob and Rick are hands-on and provide a personalised service that is fully licensed, insured and qualified. You can check online with the NSW Department of Fair Trading here
HOME OWNERS INSURANCE
Protection for your renovation project.
FULLY LICENCED 217859C
A qualified and licensed builder.
Public liability insurance for peace of mind.
Drainer | Gasfitter | Plumber | LP Gasfitter
Kitchen, Bathroom and Laundry Renovator
STANDARDS AUSTRALIA AS/NZS3500:2018 Compliant
All the work carried out by Nu-Trend is AS/NZ3500:2018 compliant. It is the Australian Standard for Plumbing and Drainage in NSW as set down by Standards Australia and the Australian Building Codes Board. They give the plumbing industry technical direction to enable compliance with required regulatory frameworks.
A personal, written, committment.
The Nu-Trend service guarantee
Rick and Rob are the hands-on Directors for Nu-Trend Plumbing. Rather than hire sub-contractors and manage their business from a distant office, they are on the tools, at your site & working towards delivering your bathroom renovation or plumbing service. It means you are talking directly to the owners of the business, the guys who are accountable and responsible rather than via email or through customer service teams.
It is why they are able to provide a written guarantee that demonstrates their confidence in standing by the quality of their workmanship and the service they deliver to every single client.
They have a very single minded commitment to deliver a high level of professionalism and quality.
No sales tricks, guaranteed.
'No Gimmicks' that's our policy
With so many years in the trade, the Nu-Trend team has seen their fair share of sales tricks, special offers, promotions and other gimmicks to secure business. Rather than copy what everyone else is doing they decided a long time ago to avoid all the typical gimmicks and stick to clear, upfront information and pricing, including the provision of free Quotes.
Here are the most common sales gimmicks you will see and how they work, keep in mind there is a reason most service industries don’t disclose fixed prices.
Real examples, real jobs.
Nu-Trend at work
Rather than use lots of photos copied from Google or from bathroom suppliers the Nu-Trend team shares real life examples of their work. Take a look at some of the bathroom renovations or local plumber jobs they have done around Sydney.
We completed this bathroom renovation that featured a custom built vanity from Eclipse timber furniture in Sydney.