How to quickly solve a stormwater drainage problem to avoid neighbour disputes.
Why is solving stormwater drainage problems important for house owners?
Depending on the situation having stormwater drainage problems can create all sorts of damage to either your own property or the ones around you. In 80% of cases you may get away with it as average rainfall levels drop year on year. Although in the situations where there is heavy downpours an overflowing stormwater system can cause all kinds of havoc.
Water can build up and flood lower levels of a property, rooms, garages or wash off into a neighbours property. Water can damage house footings, building foundations and cause other types of unseen damage.
There are also the legal obligations to consider where any property must have the ability to disperse water correctly.
What was the stormwater drainage problem at this property?
The owner of this property was putting it on the market for sale. Although there was an ongoing dispute with the neighbour about where and how the stormwater was flowing. There was high volumes of concentrated water filling his yard during heavy rains.
How much does it cost to fix a stormwater drainage problem?
Obviously this will vary on the scenario, although in this case it was a 1 1/2 day job costing around $2,500 with labours and materials to correct the problem. It wasn’t as simple as grabbing a few PVC pipes, we had to follow the correct steps
- Identify the source and path of the stormwater flow using our CCTV Camera Inspection tools to look through all all the downpipes and storm water drains to the property.
- Confirm there were no blockages or other underlying issues preventing the correct water flow to occur.
- Using both the CCTV and Locator Tools we found the outlets in the ground that were directing the water flow into the neighbour’s yard.
- Run water tests to make sure what we could see was actually causing the problems.
- Determine a solution for the problem without excessive cost due to the property about to go to market.
- Install and test the new solution.
All the piping we used was made of strong PVC with a mix of 90 and 45 degree bends to reach the appropriate locations.
How else could this problem be solved?
The longer term solution would have been to do a dig up to correct the underground piping and create a new redirection. This would have been a visually more appealing site and reduce the risk of the above ground piping being damaged. While it would have been more costly, the Client was under time and financial pressure to sell the property quickly.
Years of experience
Nu-Trend since 2009
Nu-Trend was formed just over 10 years ago by father and son team, Rick and Michael Karagiannis.
Michael has been in the industry for more than 20 years, passing his knowledge and expertise to Rick as the family tradition lives on.
Rick has always enjoyed the finer elements design details. Not content with solving plumbing problems he soon broadened his skills to also do bathroom renovations in Sydney. A perfect match with hundreds of reviews later & beautiful bathrooms being enjoyed by hundreds of people.
The passionate business owner who loves his job, always goes the extra mile & who many say “is too good for the industry”
Rick dislikes the typical industry behaviour and firmly believes in ‘no gimmicks’ and upfront, honest work.
- Position: Director
- Years in the industry: 15
- Expertise / specialty: A hands-on Director and business owner who provides leadership for the team.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber, Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? I love helping people when someone wants something and we achieve what they are after it’s rewarding for me.
- Funniest on the job story: Doing a job on a live sewer stack and someone flushing the toilet while we were underneath. It was quite brown, but you had to laugh.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Caroma Products
Robert is the co-owner of Nu-Trend who loves walking into different scenarios every day & trying to solve problems quickly.
He is the organiser in the team, keeping the boys on track each day. Some dub him the ‘pretty face’ of Nu-Trend.
- Position: Director
- Years in industry: 14
- Expertise / specialty: Quoting, team organisation and logistics to keep everything running smoothly.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber and Bathroom Renovator.
- What he loves about his work? Doing something different every day and working with really good people to solve a range of everyday problems.
- Funniest on the job story: Pranking the boys with fake emails or calls and waiting to see their reactions. Funny at times but a good way to practice real situations.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Chris joined Rick and Robert a few years ago as the number of jobs and bathroom renovations began to increase.
Ever reliable Chris gets stuck in when the hard work is required and provides the Nu-Trend team with a lot of the hard yakka.
- Position: Plumber
- Years in industry: 6
- Expertise / specialty: Maintenance and domestic plumbing for houses or unit apartment blocks.
- Qualifications: Licensed Plumber with aspirations to learn about renovations.
- What he loves about his work? Seeing Nu-Trend customers satisfied after a completed job where they notice the little details or finishing touches.
- Funniest on the job story: Too many to list and he has been thinking about writing a book about funny plumber stories for everyone to read about.
- Favourite brand of bathroom product: Boffi Products
Local | Licensed | Insured
Nu-Trend is a plumber and bathroom renovations team in Sydney, available 7 days a week. With 15 years experience, the Directors Rob and Rick are hands-on and provide a personalised service that is fully licensed, insured and qualified. You can check online with the NSW Department of Fair Trading here
HOME OWNERS INSURANCE
Protection for your renovation project.
FULLY LICENCED 217859C
A qualified and licensed builder.
Public liability insurance for peace of mind.
Drainer | Gasfitter | Plumber | LP Gasfitter
Kitchen, Bathroom and Laundry Renovator
STANDARDS AUSTRALIA AS/NZS3500:2018 Compliant
All the work carried out by Nu-Trend is AS/NZ3500:2018 compliant. It is the Australian Standard for Plumbing and Drainage in NSW as set down by Standards Australia and the Australian Building Codes Board. They give the plumbing industry technical direction to enable compliance with required regulatory frameworks.
A personal, written, committment.
The Nu-Trend service guarantee
Rick and Rob are the hands-on Directors for Nu-Trend Plumbing. Rather than hire sub-contractors and manage their business from a distant office, they are on the tools, at your site & working towards delivering your bathroom renovation or plumbing service. It means you are talking directly to the owners of the business, the guys who are accountable and responsible rather than via email or through customer service teams.
It is why they are able to provide a written guarantee that demonstrates their confidence in standing by the quality of their workmanship and the service they deliver to every single client.
They have a very single minded commitment to deliver a high level of professionalism and quality.
No sales tricks, guaranteed.
'No Gimmicks' that's our policy
With so many years in the trade, the Nu-Trend team has seen their fair share of sales tricks, special offers, promotions and other gimmicks to secure business. Rather than copy what everyone else is doing they decided a long time ago to avoid all the typical gimmicks and stick to clear, upfront information and pricing, including the provision of free Quotes.
Here are the most common sales gimmicks you will see and how they work, keep in mind there is a reason most service industries don’t disclose fixed prices.
Real examples, real jobs.
Nu-Trend at work
Rather than use lots of photos copied from Google or from bathroom suppliers the Nu-Trend team shares real life examples of their work. Take a look at some of the bathroom renovations or local plumber jobs they have done around Sydney.
This property owner was quoted $20,000 to repair their bathroom for what was a $2,000 pipe seal repair job.
Getting a backflow prevention device installed is a Sydney Water requirement for commercial property owners.